Faversham Town Council
In the mid-1250s, soon after Henry III’s 1252 charter to Faversham, Robert Dod was the first person to be called “mayor”, to the annoyance of the Abbot of Faversham, who protested to the king as part of the long battle between townspeople and Faversham Abbey about who held authority over the town.
In the mid 16th century a charter was granted to the Mayor, Jurats and Freemen of the Town of Faversham in 1546. It was subsequently regranted in 1685.
The council was established under the Municipal Corporations Act 1835 and, following local government reorganisation in 1974, Faversham Borough Council became a town council.
Faversham falls within Swale district and contains the four electoral wards of Abbey, Davington Priory (to be re-named Priory), St Ann’s and Watling.